Geomagnetically induced currents (GICs) have the potential to severely disrupt power system operations by causing increased reactive power losses in the high-voltage transmission grid. This paper focuses on validating the model which relates the GICs to their deriving electric field. A novel validation framework is proposed with the advantage of considering the system uncertainties and network information availability. The effectiveness of this approaches is validated using both a 20 bus test system as well as actual GIC data provided by American Transmission Company.
- Geomagnetic disturbance (GMD)
- geomagnetically induced currents (GICs)
- model validation
- transmission system analysis
ASJC Scopus subject areas
- Energy Engineering and Power Technology
- Electrical and Electronic Engineering