- "The Colonies" section, organized regionally, with Benjamin Franklin serving as the link forward to "The Republic"
- American arts and art institutions -undergoing a distinct historical process
- From Nina Baym's Woman's Fiction to Jane Tompkins's Sensational Designs -to first editions of the Heath Anthology
- From literary canon to actually existing archive
- Revolutionary pamphlet, post-revolutionary novel and proto-liberal republic
- Susanna Rowson's Charlotte -A Tale of Truth, claimed as an American classic
- The Evans Bibliography of Early American Imprints -everything printed in America from 1639 to 1800
- The Federalist' "unmeaning sentences" and "long-winded disquisitions," bemoaning the reader's "fatigue"
- The early Republic -forms and readers
- Theories of cultural access, Charles Wilson Peale's famous self-portrait, The Artist in His Museum -Rip Van Winkle of American painting
ASJC Scopus subject areas
- Arts and Humanities(all)