This paper reviews how strategic environmental assessment (SEA) was integrated into South Korea's Long-Term Plan for Dam Construction (LPDC). It raised the effectiveness of the planning process through feedback of environmental and social results to the plan. The strategic environmental assessment process also improved the inclusion of environmental priorities and factors that could lead to negative public opinion in the evaluation of water supply alternatives and dam construction sites. Strategic environmental assessment created a paradigm shift from functional planning toward sustainable dam planning that considers local situations.
- Environmental conservation value assessment map (ecvam)
- Long-term plan for dam construction (lpdc)
- Environmental impact assessment (eia)
- Strategic environmental assessment (sea)
ASJC Scopus subject areas
- Water Science and Technology
- Management, Monitoring, Policy and Law