Relationship between malaria and filariasis transmission indices in an endemic area along the Kenyan Coast

Ephantus J. Muturi, Charles M. Mbogo, Zipporah W. Ng'ang'a, Ephantus W. Kabiru, Charles Mwandawiro, Robert J. Novak, John C. Beier

Research output: Contribution to journalReview articlepeer-review


Background & objectives: An entomological survey was conducted to determine the relationship between malaria and lymphatic filariasis transmission by Anopheles gambiae s.l. and An. funestus in two inland villages along the Kenyan coast. Methods: Mosquitoes were sampled inside houses by pyrethrum spray sheet collection (PSC). In the laboratory, the mosquitoes were sorted to species, dissected for examination of filarial infection and the anophelines later tested for Plasmodium falciparum circumsporozoite proteins by an enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay (ELISA). Results: From a total of 2,032 female mosquitoes collected indoors, An. gambiae s.l constituted 94.4% while the remaining 5.6% comprised of An. funestus and Culex quinquefasciatus. None of the Cx. quinquefasciatus was positive for filarial worms. P. falciparum sporozoite rate for An. gambiae s.l. from both villages was significantly higher than Wuchereria bancrofti infectivity rate. Similarly, the entomological inoculation rate for An. gambiae s.l. was significantly higher than the corresponding W. bancrofti infective biting rate and transmission potential for both the villages. Mass treatment of people with filaricidal drugs in Shakahola in the ongoing global elimination of lymphatic filariasis campaign seemed to have reduced the indices of filariasis transmission but had no effect on malaria transmission. Interpretation & conclusion: These results indicate the intensity of malaria transmission by anophelines to be much higher than that of lymphatic filariasis in areas where both diseases co-exist and re-emphasise the need to integrate the control of the two diseases in such areas.

Original languageEnglish (US)
Pages (from-to)77-83
Number of pages7
JournalJournal of Vector Borne Diseases
Issue number2
StatePublished - Jun 2006


  • An. funestus
  • An. gambiae s.l.
  • Kenyan coast
  • Plasmodium falciparum
  • Transmission
  • Wuchereria bancrofti

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Parasitology
  • Infectious Diseases


Dive into the research topics of 'Relationship between malaria and filariasis transmission indices in an endemic area along the Kenyan Coast'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.

Cite this