A historical case study of beef production near Illinois between 1865 and 1900 is presented. Particular focus is given to the social, economic, and cultural aspects of the area as a borderlands region of the U.S. Midwest and the function played by the beef industry in forming a commodity chain between the northern and southern U.S. Other topics include Illinois' frontier history, a chronology of the beef industry in the Midwest, and an examination of the economic impact of farming on the region.
- BEEF industry -- United States
- ILLINOIS state history, 1865-
- BORDERLANDS -- United States
- MIDWEST (U.S.) -- Commerce
- FRONTIER & pioneer life -- Midwest (U.S.)
- MIDWEST (U.S.)