Settlement D at the Orendorf site is part of a large, Middle Mississippian fortified town that was catastrophically burned some time around A.D. 1250. Consequently excavations conducted during the 1970‘s produced a wealth of macrobotanicals from a variety of contexts, including burned houses and internal pits. Analysis of these materials was re-initiated in 2009, and is ongoing. Here we summarize the results of work conducted to date and discuss some of the implications of these finds for understanding Middle Mississippian foodways, ceremony, and use of the local environment in the central Illinois River valley.
|Original language||English (US)|
|State||Published - 2010|