Old North St. Louis, now blighted due to a half-century of decline, was founded as an independent village in 1816. It later became a focal point of German immigration to St. Louis shortly after its annexation in 1841. Block 1136 developed from 1860 to 1910 as a densely populated neighborhood of skilled workers of German ethnicity. In 2003, excavations in a portion of this block exposed three privy vaults. These features were abandoned ca. 1875-1885 after city sewer facilities became available. This paper analyzes these features and relates them to broader issues of socioeconomics and sanitation practices.
|Original language||English (US)|
|State||Published - 2010|
|Event||Society for American Archaeology 75th Annual Meeting - St. Louis, Missouri|
Duration: Apr 14 2010 → Apr 18 2010
|Conference||Society for American Archaeology 75th Annual Meeting|
|City||St. Louis, Missouri|
|Period||4/14/10 → 4/18/10|