Priests from the Seminary of Foreign Missions founded the French colonial village of Cahokia in 1699. French Cahokia gradually expanded from a mission site near an Illini village to a traditional French agricultural and mercantile community. The often well-preserved remains of this historic community rest beneath the modern-day town of Cahokia. In 2007 a waterline project passing through the town of Cahokia affected known archaeological sites associated with historic French Cahokia, a National Register of Historic Places District. Phase III excavations conducted for the project cut through two previously recorded French colonial sites: Trotier (11S861) and Cahokia Wedge (11S743). Although few artifacts and features were discovered at the Cahokia Wedge site, numerous features and artifacts were discovered at the Trotier site. Three distinct historic temporal components were identified, representing the French colonial through early industrial American occupation of Cahokia.
|Name||ISAS Transportation archaeological research report no. 122|