A sputtering erosion/redeposition analysis was performed for three candidate tokamak fusion reactor liquid divertor surfaces-lithium, tin-lithium (Sn80Li20), and flibe (LiF+BeF2 salt). The analysis uses coupled edge-plasma, impurity-transport, and sputtering codes (UEDGE/WBC/VFTRIM), and available sputtering data. A pure-lithium surface strongly absorbs impinging D-T ions-this results in a high temperature, low density, (approximately 200 eV, approximately 1×1019 m-3) low-recycle plasma edge regime. Lithium appears to perform well in this regime. Although overall sputtering is high, self-sputtering is finite. Most (approximately 95%) of the sputtered lithium is confined to the near-surface region and redeposited on the divertor with the remainder (approximately 5%) also being redeposited after transport in the scrape-off layer. Lithium core plasma contamination is low (approximately 10-4 Li/D-T). Tin-lithium and flibe would likely operate in a high-recycle regime (e.g., 30 eV, 3×1020 m-3). Erosion/redeposition performance of these materials is also good, with finite self-sputtering and negligible core plasma contamination predicted, but with some concern about changing surface composition due to different constituent element redeposition distances.
ASJC Scopus subject areas
- Nuclear and High Energy Physics
- Materials Science(all)
- Nuclear Energy and Engineering