Effects of Dietary Fat with or Without Nicotinic Acid on Nutrient Flow to the Duodenum of Dairy Cows

R. A. Christensen, T. R. Overton, J. H. Clark, J. K. Drackley, D. R. Nelson, S. A. Blum

Research output: Contribution to journalArticlepeer-review

Abstract

Four Holstein cows, fitted with ruminal and duodenal cannulas, were utilized in a 4 × 4 Latin square design to investigate the effects of supplementing nicotinic acid to diets that contained 35% alfalfa haylage, 15% corn silage, and either 50% of a low fat concentrate or 10% whole raw soybeans and 40% of a high fat concentrate containing tallow. Treatments in a 2 × 2 arrangement were 1) low fat, no supplemental nicotinic acid; 2) low fat, 12 g/d of nicotinic acid; 3) high fat, no supplemental nicotinic acid; and 4) high fat, 12 g/d of nicotinic acid. The DMI and OM apparently and truly digested in the rumen and apparently digested postruminally were not different among treatments. Addition of fat to the diet decreased the concentration of total VFA in ruminal fluid but did not alter the molar proportions of any of the VFA; supplementation of nicotinic acid tended to decrease the molar proportion of acetate. Amounts of NAN, microbial N, nonammonia nonmicrobial N, and AA that flowed to the duodenum were similar among diets. The concentration of urea N in plasma decreased, and concentrations of cholesterol and triglycerides increased, when cows were fed supplemental fat. Milk composition and production of milk, 4% FCM, and milk components were not altered by addition of fat or nicotinic acid to the diet. Supplementation of fat or nicotinic acid to diets of dairy cows was not beneficial in this experiment.

Original languageEnglish (US)
Pages (from-to)1410-1424
Number of pages15
JournalJournal of Dairy Science
Volume79
Issue number8
DOIs
StatePublished - 1996

Keywords

  • Dairy cows
  • Dietary fat
  • Nicotinic acid
  • Nutrient passage to intestine

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Food Science
  • Animal Science and Zoology
  • Genetics

Fingerprint Dive into the research topics of 'Effects of Dietary Fat with or Without Nicotinic Acid on Nutrient Flow to the Duodenum of Dairy Cows'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.

Cite this