We demonstrate that narrow-band tuned circuits may be used for ESD protection of RF inputs, and a figure of merit for optimization of these circuits is presented. The performance of the ESD-protected RF circuit is dependent on the quality factor of the ESD device, and various protection devices are evaluated in this work. Record-breaking human body model (HBM) protection levels, exceeding 5 kV, have been achieved without significantly degrading the RF performance at 5 GHz. Broadband circuit protection is also addressed.
ASJC Scopus subject areas
- Electronic, Optical and Magnetic Materials
- Atomic and Molecular Physics, and Optics
- Safety, Risk, Reliability and Quality
- Condensed Matter Physics
- Surfaces, Coatings and Films
- Electrical and Electronic Engineering