Objective: Description of a case series of 4 dogs with acute renal failure after ingestion of raisins or grapes. Case summary: Four dogs were presented with acute oliguric or anuric renal failure after a known ingestion of varying quantities of raisins or grapes. Prior to the onset of vomiting, all dogs were healthy, had no previous history of renal insufficiency, and had no exposure to other potentially nephrotoxic agents. This case series describes the clinical course and various treatment modalities used in the 4 dogs. New or unique information provided: This is the first report of clinical signs, treatment, and clinical outcome in dogs that developed renal failure after ingestion of raisins or grapes. The pathogenesis of nephrotoxicity associated with raisins and grapes remains unknown. Outcome was favorable in 2 out of the 4 cases of acute renal failure associated with raisin or grape ingestion in these dogs.
|Original language||English (US)|
|Number of pages||10|
|Journal||Journal of Veterinary Emergency and Critical Care|
|State||Published - Sep 2004|
- Acute renal tubular necrosis
ASJC Scopus subject areas