We present analysis of the distributed Bragg reflector in a microring resonator (DBR-MRR) structure. With appropriate design parameters, the device can closely reproduce the reflectance spectrum of a sampled grating distributed Bragg reflector (SGDBR). By inserting the grating inside a microring resonator, the structure is much more compact than an SGDBR, suppresses side mode ripples near each peak, and offers better control over its full width half maximum (FWHM). The device is expected to have applications in compact tunable lasers and other planar photonic devices.
- Distributed Bragg reflector (DBR)
- Microring resonator (MRR)
- Sampled grating distributed Bragg reflector (SGDBR)
ASJC Scopus subject areas
- Electronic, Optical and Magnetic Materials
- Atomic and Molecular Physics, and Optics
- Electrical and Electronic Engineering