We have designed and fabricated a high speed 850 nm oxide-confined vertical cavity surface emitting laser with an oxide aperture dimension of ~4 μm and a threshold current ITH = 0.53 mA at room temperature (20 °C). It demonstrates a modulation bandwidth of 21.2 GHz, and achieves a laser relative intensity noise reaching standard quantum limit 2hν/P0 = -154.3 dB/Hz at high bias I/ITH = 10. Furthermore, error-free data transmission at 40 Gb/s is obtained at I = 6.5 mA which corresponds to an energy/data efficiency of 431 fJ/bit.
- 40 Gb/s error free data transmission
- ultralow laser relative intensity noise
ASJC Scopus subject areas
- Electronic, Optical and Magnetic Materials
- Atomic and Molecular Physics, and Optics
- Electrical and Electronic Engineering