Research Output per year
My passion as an academic librarian is to create effective learning experiences for researchers at all stages of inquiry that enhances their advanced research and information management skills.
- Leads the planning and implementation of new and existing services in the Scholarly Commons that support digitally-enriched scholarship, based on current best practices and scholar needs.
- Develops partnerships with faculty, research groups, and units around courses or research methods, integrating Scholarly Commons resources and services into research and/or teaching.
- Assesses Scholarly Commons partnership programs, working collaboratively with the Head of the Scholarly Commons and with partners.
- Engages technologies emerging as critical to research and teaching to meet the evolving needs of faculty, students, and staff.
- Leads Scholarly Commons and Office of Research educational initiatives and instructional programs that focus on digital scholarship resources, methods and services.
- Savvy Researcher — Coordinate a suite of open workshops that includes over 60 unique titles each semester, reaching ~2400 students/year.
- Undergraduate Research — Manage the dissemination of several departmental and interdisciplinary undergraduate research journals, coordinate the Image of Research competition for undergraduates, and serve on the OUR Faculty Advisory Board.
- Ethnography of the University Initiative, Executive Committee, 2015-; Co-Director, 2013-2015
- LIS 590AE: Information Literacy and Instruction in Practice, Adjunct Professor, Spring 2012, Spring 2013, Spring 2014
- IS 458: Instructional Strategies and Techniques for Information Professionals, Adjunct Professor, Fall 2018, Fall 2019
Librarians teach students critical thinking skills that translate into a lifelong ability in finding, evaluating, using, and ethically sharing information, but we also help them understand their rights and roles in creating and sharing new information. During my time in the classroom and throughout my research, however, I have noticed the intricacies of publication and dissemination are a mystery to our students, undergraduates in particular. As an instruction librarian, I investigate emerging methodologies for how the library can extend its information literacy mission into new areas, especially the librarian’s pedagogical contribution and the factors that influence the decisions students make as creators of new knowledge. I also articulate best practices in providing context for students at all levels in understanding scholarly communication, a process through which scholarly work is created, evaluated by the academic community, disseminated through presentations and writings, and perhaps most importantly, preserved for future use. My research contributes new discoveries to teaching and learning for librarianship, further enhancing how libraries support students as they self-identify as scholars including preparing academic librarians to lead this transition.
- Academic Senate, Elected position, Illinois, 2012—2015
- ACRL Information Literacy Competency Standards for Higher Education Task Force, 2012—2015
- ACRL Instruction Section, Vice Chair, 2016-2017; Chair, 2017-2018; Past Chair, 2018-2019
- ACRL Intersections of Scholarly Communication and Information Literacy Task Force, 2013—2016
- ACRL Research and Scholarly Environment Committee, 2014—2015
- ACRL Student Learning and Information Literacy Committee, Ex-officio, 2016-2017; Chair, 2015-2016; Vice Chair 2014-2015; Member 2012—2014
- Office of Undergraduate Research, Advisory Board, 2013—
- Peer Review: The Undergraduate Research Journal of the Ethnography of the University Initiative, Advisory Board, 2013—
- Re:Search, The Undergraduate Literary Criticism Journal at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, Faculty Advisory Board, 2014—
- Peer reviewer: College & Research Libraries (2013—); Journal of Librarianship and Scholarly Communication, Library Quarterly, Journal of Information Literacy, In the Library With a Lead Pipe
- ExploreCU: http://explorecu.org
- Illini Spaces: https://illinispaces.illinois.edu/uiuc
- Image of Research - UR Edition: https://publish.illinois.edu/imageofresearch/undergraduate-image-of-research/
- The Savvy Researcher: http://illinois.edu/calendar/list/4068
- Scholarly Commons: http://www.library.illinois.edu/sc/
- Twitter @scholcommons: https://twitter.com/scholcommons
- Undergraduate Research Journals at Illinois: https://ugresearchjournals.illinois.edu
Library and Information Science, MS, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
2004 → 2006
Award Date: May 1 2006
Political Science, BA, The University of Arizona
1992 → 1998
Award Date: May 1 1998
The Library as Collaborator in Student Publishing: An Index and Review of Undergraduate Research JournalsHensley, M. K. & Johnson, H. R., 2019, In : Scholarship and Practice of Undergraduate Research. 2, 4, p. 58-67
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article
Digital scholarship as a learning center in the library: Building relationships and educational initiativesHensley, M. K. & Bell, S. J., Mar 2017, In : College and Research Libraries News. 78, 3, p. 155-158 4 p.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Review article
Research output: Chapter in Book/Report/Conference proceeding › Chapter