Research Output per year
The remains of war and empire in spaces of culture.
Fiona I.B. Ngô is an Associate Professor of Asian American Studies and Gender and Women’s Studies. Ngô's scholarship concerns the remains of war and empire in spaces of culture. Her first book, Imperial Blues: Geographies of Sex and Race in Jazz Age New York, expands on analytics of urban space to understand the effects of imperialism on Jazz Age culture and its traffic in racialized and sexualized bodies (Duke University Press, 2013). She is co-editor (with Elizabeth Stinson) of a special issue of Women & Performance on "Punk Anteriors" (22:2, November 2012), and co-editor (with Mimi Thi Nguyen and Mariam B. Lam) of a special issue of positions: asia critique on Southeast Asian American Studies (20:3, Summer 2012). She has also published in journals including Amerasia Journal and Camera Obscura on Southeast Asian diasporic cultural production, part of an ongoing project titled "Structures of Sense.
1208 W. Nevada
Urbana, IL 61801
University of California, Irvine, Ph.D., History; Critical Theory and Graduate Feminist Emphases
University of California, Irvine, M.A., History
University of California, Irvine, B.A., English
University of California, Irvine, B.A., History
AAS 590 Comparative Race Studies: Theories and Methods
AAS / GWS 315 War and Cinema
GWS 370 Queer Theory
- Imperial Blues: Geographies of Race and Sex in Jazz Age New York. . Durham, NC: Duke University Press, 2014.
- "The Anxiety over Borders." Embodying Asian/American Sexualities. . Comp. Sean Metzger. Ed. Gina Masequesmay. Lexington Books, 2009. 89-104.
- "Punk in the Shadow of War." Women & Performance: A Journal of Feminist Theory 22.2 (2012): 203-232.
- "Sense and Subjectivity." Camera Obscura: Feminism, Culture, and Media Studies 76.4 (2011): 95-129.
- "A Chameleon’s Fate: Transnational Mixed-Race Vietnamese Identities." Amerasia Journal 31.2 (2005): 51-62.
Special Issues of a Journal
- Ngô, Fiona I., and Elizabeth A. Stinson. ""Introduction: Threads and Omissions"." Punk Anteriors. Spec. iss. of Women & Performance: A Journal of Feminist Theory 22.2 (2012): 165-171.
- Nguyen, Mimi T., Mariam B. Lam, and Fiona I. Ngô. "Guest Editors' Introduction." Southeast Asian Diaspora. Spec. iss. of positions: asia critique 20.3 (2012): 671-684.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Book/Film/Article review
Research output: Book/Report › Book
Research output: Contribution to journal › Special issue